Warm pumpkin and avocado salad – Gayle Lynch
This is a much-loved family recipe, taken from a magazine some years ago. The pumpkin and avocados complement each other perfectly and the salad is served warm with a tempting honey and soy dressing.
GAYLE LYNCH, Old Bus Depot Markets Office – administration genius and the helpful and kind voice you will hear at the end of the phone.
Warm pumpkin and avocado salad
1 butternut pumpkin, peeled and cut into 2.5cm cubes
1 tbsp ground cumin
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
200g green beans, topped and tailed
100g baby spinach leaves
2 avocados, cut into bite-sized cubes
100g flaked almonds or chopped macadamias, toasted
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 200oC.
2. Line a baking sheet with baking paper.
3. Toss pumpkin, cumin and oil in a bowl, then arrange on the baking sheet.
4. Roast 20-25 minutes or until pumpkin is tender and edges start to brown.
5. Place in large serving dish.
6. Plunge beans into a pot of lightly salted, boiling water and cook 2-3 minutes or until bright green.
7. Drain and refresh under cold water.
8. Add to pumpkin, then add spinach, avocado and nuts.
9. Whisk honey, soy and oil in a small bowl and pour over the salad.
10. Toss well and serve immediately.