Crème de Menthe dessert – Rhys Aleksandric
My favourite flavour combination is chocolate and mint. My Grandmother’s ‘Grasshopper Pie’ has always put a smile on my face!
(in our family known by the less elegant name ‘Grasshopper Pie’)
RHYS ALEKSANDRIC, making fine espressos at the Depot Café.
Crème de Menthe dessert
About 500g plain chocolate biscuits, crushed
2 tbsp melted butter
100ml crème de menthe liqueur
Few drops green food colouring
250g packet white marshmallows, cut up a bit with scissors
1 cup milk
2 cups cream
1. Preheat oven to 180oC.
2.. Add melted butter to crushed chocolate biscuits and stir.
3. Put ⅔ of the biscuit mixture in a 28cm x 20cm baking dish and pat down firmly. Bake in the oven for 5 minutes. Allow to cool completely.
4. In a small pot, very gently, melt the marshmallows in the milk. Cool.
5. Whip the cream and add 100ml crème de menthe. Add a couple of drops green food colouring so it is a very pale green (dark green would be off-putting, don’t you think?!)
6. Gently fold the marshmallow mixture with the whipped cream mixture.
7. Pour into the baking dish with biscuit crust. Scatter the remaining ⅓ biscuit crumble on the top and refrigerate for a couple of hours.